Friday, January 25, 2008

You Turn Your Back for One Second

This week we had two social "incidences". The first happened Thursday morning. I only heard it as I was dressing in the bathroom. The second happened this morning...far worse than the first.

Thursday's event goes something like this. I had just gotten out of the shower when I heard the phone in the office ring. Some important information about this phone is it is a National Instruments line. It is in our office since Christian has a home office for the company he works for. I never answer the phone when it rings because it is either Christian's boss, or another engineer calling Christian for work related issues. I just let voice mail pick it up.

Daniel answered the phone and started talking. I'm sure the person on the other line didn't understand a thing he said because I could hardly understand what he was saying...but he did mention elephants taking baths to the caller. I knew the person was going to call back thinking they had initially dialed the wrong number, so I quickly got decent and ran out. Sure enough, they called back.

Our second incident happened this morning while I was at the doctors. I'm at week 29, so I had to have the gestational diabetes screening done. For those of you unfamiliar with the procedure, the expecting mom has to drink a very sugary solution, wait and hour, and then have her blood drawn and tested for its glucose level.

During our hour of waiting, Daniel and I decided to go exploring. My doctor is in a 4 floor facility full of other doctor's offices. While exploring, we came across a sick boy who was throwing up on the way to his doctor's appointment. No one else was around and so we helped him to the office and then cleaned things up afterwards. Naturally, I wanted to wash our hands after the whole incident.

As I was washing my hands, the fire alarm and strobe lights start going off. I turn around only to find Daniel with his hand on the emergency fire alarm lever! What two year old wouldn't be tempted by a bright red lever on a plain tan wall? Now I know why most have covers over them.

I ran to the nearest office and explained everything hoping they had the facility manager's number, but the alarm went off for a good 10 minutes before it was shut off and the 4 floors of the building were evacuated! The manager was very kind and understanding about the whole thing and luckily we didn't get fined for tampering with the fire alarm.

I didn't dare mention anything back at my doctor's office. Daniel and I were the first ones in the office (because we didn't evacuate the building). I felt badly watching all these very pregnant ladies huff and puff at the top of the 4th flight of stairs as they shuffled back in. Maybe it sent one of them into labor...which I would have been happy about!

5 comments:

~Aimee~ said...

Hehehe, mischevious little guy you got there. ;-) Poor pregnant ladies having to walk up and down all those stairs. :-) How did the glucose test go?

Tim said...

This sounds like an "older sister trick" played by an "innocent" mother behind a "curious" two year old. The truth is, Tara, was always trying to get her younger more "rebelious" brother to pull fire alarms.

Love you,

Tim.

April said...

Elephants taking baths? Love it!

Tasha L. said...

Tara, Wow, I laughed at this. What adventures you are having with your little guy! Thanks for today's entertainment!
Tasha & fam

Amanda said...

Quite the story... I am sure it will be good fodder for teasing later in life.