Friday, January 4, 2008

New Years

On New Years Eve, we did something very new to both Christian and I...we campaigned for Ron Paul. We went on a four mile walk up and down Cary Street (the New Year's mecca for Richmond). I must admit I felt a little silly at first, but I believe in the cause, and felt quite patriotic while doing it.

Political indoctrination?!?!?!?!? And yes, he is in his pajamas!


Most people are unfamiliar with Ron Paul's candidacy. He is a 10 term congressman from Texas who is currently running for the Republican presidential nomination. I guess if I were to briefly summarize what I like about him it would be the following:
  • His track record (the bills he has supported, introduced, and fought) parallels my beliefs and understanding of the proper roll of government. They resonate truth.
  • His years of political experience and service. He's not a young political whippersnapper.
  • His specific answers to political issues (a rare encounter in politics these days).
Overall, Ron Paul is in favor of a limited government, a strict interpretation of The Constitution, and individual rights. His website is very useful. You should check it out before your state's primary elections! I think the next president is determined more from the primary election results than the final election results...so there is my political plug!

I feel a little obligation to address the "Mormon" issue since I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I like Mitt Romney and I think he is a very capable and intelligent person but I don't feel obligated to vote for him because we are members of the same faith. I just think Ron Paul is a better fit for the job.

6 comments:

Ben said...

Way to go Paulunteers! Here's hoping for a strong showing in NH!

Ginny Lubin Butler said...

This is great! I can't wait to show Shawn! You guys are awesome.

Della Hill said...

Tara,
I found your blog through a link on Paul Ross' blog. I am interested in Ron Paul, but don't know enough to make a decision yet. It is good to see info on your blog.
It is also good to see info on you. Congrats on the baby.
BTW, God got back at me for never getting CJ into scouts in Glen Allen. I'm now his den leader here in VA Beach. LOL
-Della Hill

marahaahaa said...

I need to dig more into the Ron Paul side of things. I've always wanted to do a rally!

Lizzy said...

oops. that was from me not patrick!

Lizzy said...

oops that was from me, not Patrick!