Thursday, January 8, 2009

The Magic of Park City

I wish I could describe the magic of our ski in/ski out resort stay. It was better than Disney World as a kid...and I went to Disney World as a kid. I wanted to stop time while I was there. I tried to savor each moment. Only 348 more days until we get to do it again. Maybe we should make a paper chain. At least 2009 is not a leap year...one day closer to skiing in Park City.

Joan and I basking in the sun

Basically, a Park City ski vacation goes something like this.
  • 6am: Wake up with the kids and try and keep them quiet until 7am
  • 7am: Let Daniel jump on Tim and Joan's bed with his glass of milk
  • 8am: Breakfast
  • 9am: Walk down to the ski valet, pick up your skis, ski like a mad dog
  • 1pm: Nice warm lunch and a little r&r before the afternoon ski session
  • 2pm: Ski
  • 4:30pm: Hot tub...Daniel's favorite
  • Evening: Dinner, night out on the town, shopping, talking, or movie watching
  • 10:30pm: Sleep
On our last ski day, we decided to mix things up a little and try boarding instead. I'm so glad we did. It was so fun. Although we did spend a lot of time on our patooties, as everyone warned us we would, we were doing decently by the end of the day. I however never completed an "S" curve successfully. The only two times I did, I was so excited I had done it I promptly biffed it. Oh well, something to learn next time. It turned out to be a perfect day to learn how to board. Most of the runs we would have skied on were closed due to weather and we had fresh powder on the bunny hills to learn on.

Joan and I before boarding

On Christmas Eve all the ski instructors (probably about 100) skied down with red flares on their poles and made a lighted path which Santa skied down the middle of. It was fun to see...just another one of those magical things about Park City.

No comments: