Sunday, March 23, 2008

Breaking Point

There comes a point in my pregnancies where I become a little desperate to have a baby. Fortunately, I have a very strong body and my kids aren't in any rush to come out. I'm not to my desperate point yet. I have too much to do before this baby comes (in fact, the other day I had a dream I went into labor and I woke up in a panic thinking this baby can't come until April...I need until April to get everything done!). I'm sure I will hit my breaking point soon though.

When I hit my breaking point last time, I tried almost everything in the book to self induce labor (except drinking castor oil), but nothing worked. Yesterday was a testimony again to me that my body will hold on to a baby for as long as it can. If all the work I did yesterday didn't get anything going, I don't know what will. Let me explain.
  • I started the day with a 6.5 mile brisk walk
  • I then worked in the yard all day until about 5pm doing things like raking, shoveling, and laying about 1000 pounds of mulch throughout our yard
  • Cleaned the house
  • Chased a 2.5 year old
By the end of the day I was having a little bit of labor pain, but was too sore everywhere else to really notice. And here I am blogging...not in the hospital. So, hard physical labor does nothing to persuade my children to come out. Maybe the physical labor persuades them to stay inside where they get to sleep and eat all day. They must have figured out they are going to be put to work when they come out so they might as well live the good life now.

But the yard work paid off. Our lawn looks so beautiful now. I can't help comparing what our yard looks like now to what it did when we moved in. We have spent a lot of time trying to get things nice.

2005

2006

2008

Back to the labor induction part, I went in for an ultrasound last Monday. Because I had a big baby last time (9 lbs 10.5oz) and I'm measuring ahead this time, my doctor wanted to get some sort of feel for how big this guy is. It turns out the estimate weight for this guy last week is 7.3 lbs (average for 34 weeks is 6lbs). My due date is April 13th, but because of the baby's size, we are looking at an induction date around April 7th. I'm sure I will have hit my breaking point by then!

4 comments:

Tim said...

Induction! Since when are they using magnets to induce labor? What a great idea. Much better then using forceps. Love you Tara.

~Aimee~ said...

The yard looks fabulous! And good luck with the kiddo. Hope all goes smoothly and he's not super giant. ;-) (Here's hoping you don't get a Hall baby. The heads on these people, sheesh!) ;-)

April said...

Good luck! Not too much longer, eh? I was hoping you'd go one day over so the little dude could be born on my birthday. What do you think?

And your yard looks GREAT! Good luck with the selling part! :)

Tasha L. said...

Tara,
I had to laugh about the thought of your children not wanting to come out because they'd be put to work. That's probably true, but they'll also have more fun with you & Christian than almost any parents. Pregnancy doesn't seem to slow you down much at all. You're amazing, and your yard looks great!
Tasha