Tuesday, April 5, 2011

A Tale of Two Meals


Once upon a time there was a mother who cared deeply for her children's well being. She hand picked carrots, celery, onions, zucchini, cabbage, barley, kidney beans, and spices. Then she washed them and chopped them and simmered them into a delicious soup.

She placed the bowls full of delicious goodness in front of her children for dinner. When dinner was over all but the mandatory bites of soup were left in the bowl and traces of the dinner were left on the table, chairs, and floor. Coaxing them to eat this meal took more energy from her than the amount of calories she consumed in her own bowl of soup.

Well, that same mother one night blew all health caution to the wind and bought a box of macaroni and cheese for $.97. She followed the cooking directions on the box...putting in a half stick of butter and bright orange powder which has unknown origins.

When she placed this meal in front of her children she could barely restrain them from eating before a prayer was given. And once "amen" was said, it was as if a gun had been shot to start a race. It was a race to get a second helping...and then even ask for a third helping only to find out there was NOTHING left. Not a trace of food. When the food was gone, the mother checked for damages, but there were none (at least to the visible eye)...the table was clean, the chairs were clean, the floor was clean, and the plates barely needed a rinse before placing them in the dishwasher.

That is the end of this sad tale of two meals.

3 comments:

Tasha L. said...

Oh, I love how you wrote this. How funny. I'm sorry they did not appreciate your soup - it sounds delicious to me.

Danny and Laura said...

I've always been so impressed by the meals that your kids willingly eat - you know, the ones that my kids would stubbornly protest to. It's nice to know that sometimes they do prefer the processed grossness that I give into feeding my kids most days of the week.
I sure wish I could have some of that delicious soup. I can't wait to have my own garden.

Yorgasons said...

Ooooh yes, I know this story well!!