Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Busy Bees

This week I'm teaching my kids about honey bees. I thought I'd make it real, so we made our own "honey".

First, they had to make the honeycomb.
They had to find wax (cupcake liners) hidden throughout the yard and bring them back to build the hive.

Then, I planted "flowers" full of sweet "nectar" throughout the yard.
They had to use their antennae to smell and find the nectar.

Once they found the nectar, they had to use their special bee tongues to suck it up...

Then take it back to the hive and regurgitate it into the combs.
Did you know that when you eat honey you are really eating bee spit?
Yum.

Then they ate their honey.

6 comments:

Tasha L. said...

That is so cute! What a great way to learn!

beadify said...

Honestly, how do you come up with this stuff? Do these crazy good ideas just pop into your head? I have 2 little monkeys to entertain, so I really want to know, so you better reply! :)

Amanda said...

You are seriously my parenting hero. You should write a book. That or keep blogging. I'll keep taking notes. :-)

Nuttall said...

You are so creative!! What a great way to teach them about bees. Denise

Ahren said...

I love it! That is a great idea and those bees of yours are so cute.

ajensen said...

i love your blog. What a great, creative idea. That is awesome!