Wednesday, March 10, 2010

One of My Current Projects

I found these two beauties when I was out for a run. They were on the side of the road patiently waiting for the garbage truck to haul them away. Methought I would reupholster the chairs and end up with two relatively nice chairs for cheap (with some added effort that is).

Well, this is a PROJECT. I have never done this before, but just getting the current upholstery off has been agonizing. I finally resorted to ripping. Now I don't know if I'll ever be able to reconstruct this. Maybe some words of encouragement? Maybe some tips from others who have mastered this form of handy work before? Or maybe someone should just tell me to put the chairs back out on the curb? I found some fun, funky material today, but I didn't buy it. I just don't know.

Yours Truly

4 comments:

Cheree said...

Good luck, Tara! I've never tackled anything like this, though I daydreamed about doing a project like this may a time. Some sites that might help: http://www.mormonchic.com/crafty/wingback.asp or http://www.antiqueupholsterer.com/How_to_Upholster_a_Wingback.html
Post a pic of the before and after when you're done!!!

chadnsyd said...

Wow you are brave! I would go put them back on the curb. However, my mom would reupholster them, ask her if you want any tips, she's done couches and chairs like that. Buena suerte.

ellen said...

Tara -- a friend gave me a chair that she found on the curb and I want to reupholster it. Maybe we can help each other. I've never done it. She gave me the fabric too. She got the fabric at Zimmans in Lynn (I went there years ago): http://zimmans.com/. Let's talk!!

Sweet Em said...

I tried this once...the result is a book about upholstery that you can borrow if you want. Seriously, let me know. Actually I also have 9 yards of deep purple velvet that I don't have any use for either...if you are interested. (Oh, the couch was going to be soooo sexy!)