Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Balance Bikes

So, a friend of mine commented on Daniel's ability to ride a bike at age 3. She asked if he was just advanced for his age...as great as I think my child is, he is not advanced...he just got potty trained for goodness sake. We used this European method which starts young kids out on a balance bike.

We didn't buy a special balance bike, we just took the pedals off of a small bike and let Daniel learn to balance on that. We let him "ride" the balance bike for about a month and then we put the pedals back on. He basically just took off with the bike. Little running along side or behind him was required. It was painless for us parents...probably the first painless-for-the-parents experience of his life.

I was so excited for him when he took off. As I was cheering him on, he looked at me, and his look said it all. His look said...

"Mom, ain't no thang!"

He actually verbally says that now. It cracks me up.

5 comments:

Ahren said...

Way to go Daniel! That's a great idea about the balance bike.

I love the "ain't no thing"! Hilarious.

Shauna said...

That's amazing! We'll have to try that with J. Where did you go for the bike? We need to get together SOON! It's been too long.

Yorgasons said...

Go Daniel!! That is awesome!! We just got bikes for our kids...now I am feeling like I need one! :)

Danny and Laura said...

That's Awesome. Alyssa can't even ride her little radio flyer tricycle.

Lizzy said...

this is big in our neighborhood. i've got to get a lil bike for abel.