Thursday, March 19, 2009

My New Mission

Have you heard the song "Pickup Man"? I think the first verse partly explains why all of Daniels' pants have holes in the knees.

Well I got my first truck, when I was three,
Drove a hundred thousand miles on my knees
Hauled marbles and rocks, and thought twice before

I hauled a Barbie Doll bed for the girl next door

(emphasis added)

I guess his Sunday pants don't have holes in the knees...but that is because he puts them on as he is walks out the door to church and takes them off as he is walks in.

Well I'm on a quest to find the most knee reinforced jeans. If anyone has any suggestions let me know. The jeans we've tried from The Children's Place, and JCP have lasted 6 months. I would love to see him grow out of a pair of pants before they wear out. I think I'm going to iron in reinforcements on the next pair of jeans before I let him start wearing them.

I thought about leather pants. But leather on a three year old?!?! What if I made him wear knee pads all day? Christian suggested chaps.

I guess summer is coming and it is shorts weather. At least skin grows back.

9 comments:

Cheree said...

A friend of mine from our old ward was over the other day fixing some leaky plumbing below our kitchen sink. When he stood up I noticed the knees in his jeans. An entire rectangular square had been replaced right over his knee. I told him that was a pretty smart fix. He said that he goes to Saver's (our local thrift store) and purchase old jeans for his wife to cut up and replace his knees. Because of how much he's on his knees one pair of jeans may last him a week-if that. Anyhow, it's too expensive to keep buying jeans, so she replaces the entire knee of the jean with denim that looks similar. So--if you're wanting a "fix" try that for play pants! It works better than a patch, lasts longer, and looks pretty good too! I could barely even tell. Hey--if you did it to both knees it may look like you bought them that way! Good luck!

~Aimee~ said...

I was gonna suggest using the jeans he wears out to reinforce the new jeans. If he's only got holes in the knees, then the rest of the leg should provide some material to sew into the new ones. Maybe put in some thick material in between too. Layer it up. ;-) Good luck!

Tasha L. said...

I know that Sears has a brand of clothes that are guaranteed to last until the child grows out of them. You can return them if they wear them out, and they'll replace them with the same product, same size. It might be worth it if you have a Sears nearby. There are other stores that do the same thing, but I don't remember which ones. Good luck!
Tasha

Tasha L. said...

Here's some info on the Sears guarantee. It is called KidVantage, and it only applies to in-store purchases (no online)

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/nb_10153_12608_NB_kid%20vantage?keywordRedirect=kidvantage

Amanda said...

My mom always had to put the iron-on patches on my brother's pants before he wore them. That usually helped them last a little longer, but sometimes the patches would fall off or start to peel away after being washed so much.

Stacey said...

LandsEnd used to carry some boys' jeans that were double material, should last twice as long! I know we had some for Zachary that Kobe now wears, and they're not even worn.

This Place is a Disaster! said...

Shopko also guarentees childrens pants until they grow out of them.

My child goes therough knees too, she now has pants that are patched with pockets on the knees - it's kinda cute, we just do what cheree suggested but we cut out the pockets for character!

Tasha L. said...

When Bob read this, he remembered his Mom having him wear "toughskins" jeans. He still got holes in the knees.

http://www.searsarchives.com/brands/toughskins.htm

I think Christian had some toughskins too, at one time.

Sweet Em said...

I saw this tutorial and thought of you. Obviously a heart might not be the ideal shape but you can figure something out.

http://koalabrains.blogspot.com/2009/02/i-think-its-called-cut-out-applique-or.html