Sunday, June 3, 2012

It is Done

 This spring, some sparrows moved into our mud room.
The kids and I watched them fly in and out bringing bits and pieces of things in their beaks to build their nest.
I thought about their preparation and anticipation for their family.
 
 Although the birds were much quicker at building their nest than we have been,
I felt a little kinship with them.
Christian and I have worn tracks in the road from our house to Lowe's and back.
I wonder if the birds looked at us carrying supplies in and out and thought about what sort of nest we were building in preparation and anticipation for our growing family.

 In a way, I envied the birds.
They didn't have to pull any permits or get any inspections.
Their nest is a simple, one bowl fits all...nice and cozy, not much to have to clean up, no paint colors to choose, no plumbing or electrical.

But mostly I feel a kinship with them.
What a learning experience it has been to build this room from the ground up.
Oh the nights Christian and I would tuck the kids into bed and drag ourselves down there to work some more, only to encounter another problem requiring yet another trip to Lowe's.
And the long Saturday's.
But the nest is done.

And it feels oh so good.

I'm kind of proud of it.

Seriously proud of it!

7 comments:

ellen said...

I need to visit your new room (and I love that they call it "pulling a permit" here)!

Yorgasons said...

You should be proud of it!! It is beautiful!!

BJ said...

You know, our basement needs to be done. You guys did such a great job, you could come do our too!

Tasha L. said...

It looks fabulous! What a beautifully written post, as always.

Sarah said...

Looks amazing! Love it.

Amber Jones said...

It looks awesome!!!

Amanda said...

Yay! What an awesome feeling to be done. I wish we could visit again to see it!! :)