Thursday, June 3, 2010

Walden Pond


Today I took the kids to Walden Pond. Henry David Thoreau put this place on the map when he decided to simplify his life and live out here for a while. From what I remember from my High School reading of "Walden", he spent his days hiking, meditating, constructing, and maintaining a meticulous record of all his expenses.

I was hoping to get some meditative thoughts in, and maybe I would have if I didn't have to keep untangling fishing line from the trees, or make sure my kids weren't playing with the dead fish they found floating near the shore, or keep the peace with one shovel and two kids, or lug James after the first 10m of our hike.


In reality though, I feel bad for Thoreau because my kids help me discover way more about life than I would ever observe on my own.

No comments: