Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Gone Green

Our house was built in the 1950's. Our furnace/boiler appear to be from the 1950's as well. Being native Texans and knowing we were going to have to survive a Boston winter, we decided to replace our old oil furnace with a new natural gas furnace. We made our decision and paid the down payment for everything 2 months ago. At the time we calculated out how much fuel we would need until the new furnace was put in. We have been extremely careful in the amount of hot water we have used and haven't turned the heat on at all

Well, last Friday, "the beast" ran out of oil. So, we sponge bathed while my family was here (just like times on my mission to Brazil...a third world country...we live in MA!). Christian fed "the beast" some diesel fuel and that seemed to satisfy its hunger, but I'm afraid the diesel fuel was a mere appetizer. We are having a difficult time finding an oil supplier who will put less than 100 gallons of oil in "the beast" as we wait out the time it takes for the Massachusetts' bureaucracy to sign all the papers and give the ok to get working on things.

The Beast I

The Beast II

So, we've gone green. It is only -9887263487659830987 degrees in our house. There is no end in sight. The full fledged New England winter is approaching. I'm sure Al Gore's house is nice and toasty warm.

I guess my point in this whole post is...lets not elect a president who is going to turn the whole United States into a bureaucratic mess as things are here. You can't get anything done in this state without having papers pushed around a billion times and having fees added on to everything.

Vote Ron Paul! I know he is technically out of the race, but I'm going to write him in! There, I did my civil duty for the day. Your children will thank me.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

You sound like us! We're trying to "heat" our house with sweatshirts as long as we can before turning the heat on. (Unfortunately we really need some more insulation.)
I'm writing Ron Paul in too. We need simplification, not more messed up and complicated reforms. Good luck with your bureaucratic red tape!

Erica said...

AWESOME POST!!! You guys are my heros. I am all about LOWER TAXES, and SMALLER GOVERNMENT. I don't know that much about Ron Paul...but if that is what he is preaching, you can sign me up. The fact that you have to check with the government to change your heater is complete bureaucratic garbage. I would be sure to send them an invoice for your heating costs while waiting for their bestowal of grace and blessings, and consider some kind of lawsuit for distress and mental anguish. I am mad for you. On the other hand ...if Joe Biden is right, and there is some massive international crisis that will threaten our very existence...maybe get the oil as a backup.

LOL...Love you guys

Eli

beadify said...

Oh, if only we could mix a little AZ sunshine with your cold weather! We are still cooking here. It got down to the mid 70s for 2 days and we got to turn the AC off and open the windows...bliss. Then it popped right back up to the 90s. My body thinks it's July when it's really Nov! ps even though we already bought the stroller, i'd still like to hear what you have to say! we had to hurry when we found a good deal. seems good so far - hopefully it continues that way! Yes, it would be so fun to live in the same place & go running together! Who knows, the way we both move around, it could happen someday! :)