Sunday, December 12, 2010

Inflation

Today's post is brought to you by guest blogger Christian.


In July 1946, Hungary witnessed a record setting case of hyperinflation with prices doubling every 13.5 hours at their peak. Until this morning this remained the worst case of inflation in world history. I was getting Anna dressed for church this morning and picked out what I thought would be a suitable dress. I guess she's been growing a lot lately and so alas, it was too small, so I retrieved another from the closet. During this time interval though she must have outgrown this too because it also proved to be too small. After the third dress wouldn't fit around her (not so little anymore) arms I began to wonder if this was hyperinflation on a baby girl scale. I ran to the closet and returned with a wheelbarrow full of clothes, hoping that they had not been rendered insufficient in the interim. I finally got her dressed.

I used the rest of her dresses to wallpaper her room, as they had lost all face value since the hyperinflation of 2010.

PS, Anna weighs 18 pounds, which is a 64% increase in three months.

3 comments:

Tasha L. said...

Hmmm, don't know if an increase in interest rates will really help to curtail consumption in this situation.
Bob & Tasha

Gaylene and Emil said...

Ha! Ha! Well written, Christian! What a beautiful little baby she is-can't wait to see you all.

Mom

Nancy said...

I think you did a good job. She is beautiful. Grandma Nancy