Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Dirty Laundry

Today as I was sorting the laundry my mind wondered back to Brazil, where I served a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. My mind often wonders back to Brazil when I do laundry, because for a year and a half I washed my clothes in a bucket.

Brazilian moms have super powers. I'm sure their kids come in looking like this...

or leave clothes in the laundry basket that look like this...

but their kids always looked clean. Those moms have to scrub each little sock by hand. If I could, I would give each mom a washing machine. I should stop complaining about doing the laundry...but I probably will again...because I still don't like it. I am very grateful for a functioning washing machine with a "Heavy Duty" cycle on it.

4 comments:

Danny and Laura said...

What a great mom, letting your boy play in the dirt like that. I usually just don't allow it because I don't want to deal with the mess. (then again, I also have girls who aren't as interested in the dirt). I often think back to Brazil too and am glad that I don't have to wash my clothes by hand or walk home from the grocery store with my weeks worth of groceries in hand. By the way, I got an email from Andrea (from Araras) the other day. It made me so happy. I haven't heard from her in so long. Now I just have to figure out how to write back in portugues. I've kind of forgotten how to speak it.

beadify said...

I'm glad I checked your blog today. Oh, the not so fond memories of bucket laundry and walking forever with heavy loads and sore feet. Now I'm going to go to bed with happy, grateful thoughts of washing machines and cars. I had almost forgotten to be thankful for those things!

Yorgasons said...

AMEN to that!! I am grateful for my washing machine too!! Oh the hand washing days...I actually thought it was fun...maybe because I knew I wouldn't be doing it for the rest of my life!! haha

Phil and Ronnie said...

Hehe! I remember after being out for a year thinking I was pretty good at washing my laundry until a sister in the ward volunteered to was our clothes in her machine... and my towel was fluffy. I LOVE my washer... Does bring back some sauldades from Brazil. ;) My husband served in Fortaleza and always had a tia to do his laundry... ahh the blessings of being a Sister!