Friday, August 21, 2009

13,528 ft

I was the head of the party planning committee for our 5th wedding anniversary celebration. In my mind, the stars aligned for a backpacking trip...I have always wanted to backpack, we were headed out to Utah for a wedding, we have no nursing baby, and my parents were willing to watch our kids (bless them). So we packed up our packs and headed for the top of Utah...Kings Peak. Thanks to my new digital watch, here is a little play by play of the trip.

09:57 - Henry Fork's Trailhead


13:11 - Lunch and first try with the water filter


13:35 - Out of the treeline


15:47 - Top of Gunsight Pass


17:30 - Set up camp a stone's throw from Anderson's Pass, eat a gourmet freeze dried dinner, discuss summit-ting that evening but not knowing when the sun sets or if the brewing clouds were a hail-storm in the making we decide to summit in the morning, splitting head-ache sets in.


19:00 - Go to bed. We had not books, no fishing pole, and no energy. It was freezing. We were not prepared. Little did we know that was the beginning of a miserable, altitude-sickness night.


06:00 - Wake up to a light snow dusting on the tent. Pack up and head out.

If we don't look well-rested, it is because we aren't...and we are sick.

13:00 - Wobble to the car and head straight for Arby's.

And finally, here is the parting shot. I love this picture. I think my husband looks HOTT!


PS: I'm officially kicked off the 10th wedding anniversary party planning committee.

4 comments:

chadnsyd said...

I'm sorry you got sick, but that looks like a BEAUTIFUL hike. Also, I love your running stance! Congratulations on 5 years.

Tasha L. said...

What fun memories. Even the sickness and cold will be fun things to laugh about as the years go on.
Christian - what are your plans for the 10th anniversary?
Tasha

beadify said...

Oh, well - great idea anyway! Looks like it was fun until you got sick! Happy Anniversary!

Sweet Em said...

Geez - what does altitude sickness feel like? Sounds like a bummer - but Happy 5th!